June 28, 2007

you are what you eat

I am a big fan of Indian food, especially spicy food, and love trying out new dishes. After moving out of India, I had the opportunity to try a variety of International cuisine, and I couldnt help falling in love with many of them. So thought of listing down my favourites. Here's the list-

- Tiramisu
If there is anything heavenly, it must be Tiramisu. I have tried Tiramisu in many places and the one you get in CPK comes out a smashing first.

- Matar Paneer
I just can't seem to get tired of this. I had it first when I was living in Punjab, and haven't been able to give it up since then.

- Sugarcane juice
Sugarcane juice made with crushed ginger, is yum yum, to die for and hands down the best summer drink one could have. My only problem, its seasonal.

- Mozzarella Cheese Salad
Discovered this one at a friends place, tried my own version with a lot more crushed pepper and I can't stop eating it once I start, in an odd way it is addictive. Yummy when made with tender corn and grape tomatoes.

- Tapri ki chaai
Tapri ki chaai, in a glass tumbler, and at sometime around midnight. Possible only in India, and the best thing to do if you have an exam around the corner.

- Sizzlers
Don't know if there are many varieties in vegetarian out here. The best I had was in Juhu, Mumbai. Out here I have seen the vegetarian ones only in Mexican restaurents.

- Chinese Hakka Noodles with sweet corn soup
When I was a student in Pune, Chinese food was one of the few things I used to look forward to. I was a student, so money was not exactly in free flow and any opportunity to have Chinese was always sought out. Pune has some of the best Chinese food I have had and Chinese is available in just about every nook and corner.

- Italian food
Am still discovering Italian, not familiar with everything. But whatever I have had convinces me that this is not something I will be giving up any time soon. Favourites are Mushroom Ravioli and Shells (small ones). I actually prefer the dishes that do not have too much of cheese. Too much of cheese and I start gagging over calorie couting.

- Hyderabadi Baingan
Mamma makes the best Hyderabadi Baingan. Never thought eggplant could be this tasty, but its heavenly. Some people also call its Guthi Venkaya.

- Tamarind and Tomato Rice
I love most of the South Indian food, especially Iyengar food, but favourites are Tamarind rice and Tomato rice. Mouth watering when served with appalam, or vadaam..

No comments: