June 30, 2007

a memory in my heart

A couple of days back, I was listening to songs from the movie, Alaipayuthey and suddenly I found myself six years back in time, in my room in Pune, listening to the same songs playing on my roomie's broken tape recorder. It was astonishingly sudden, I was not even thinking of my Pune days, but one moment I was sitting at my computer, at home and the next I was in the past, in a long forgotten day.

It was not the first time it had happened. A colour, a smell, or a familiar touch opens up a memory box. A rainy and windy day takes me to a day at my parents home, an aroma reminds me of a walk in a market, a sunny winter day and I am nine years old sleeping in a park, a taste lingers on screaming something familiar.

It is not as if what comes back was something special, they are just memories of ordinary days with all their mundaneness, and insignificant happenings.

Its as if the time gone by is frozen in my memory, as if a snapshot of a day is somewhere in my mind and an unsuspecting sense on a regular day triggers it off. But the question is why do I remember that day, that person, that incident. If its not important enough, then why my life today triggers these memories?

Perhaps there is no reason as such, the explanation is nothing complex but a very simple one. Perhaps it is yet another manifestation of Pavlov's experiment. When I wear sneakers and put on fast music, I feel energetic and sporty.

Perhaps its an association that I have subconsciously made, my mind registering a mundane routine or a memorable day.

Whatever the reason, but I do find myself stumbling upon memories from times long forgotten, and wondering where did that come from.

No comments: