June 30, 2007

alice in wonderland

Ages since I went shopping, I want to buy suits and decide to go to the city. Strange but there are no cabs around. I am on my way now, wind is blasting on my face, my hair is all over the place and I am not in a cab or a bus, ...I am actually flying.

I am on Harry Potter's broom and I am right above the city. It is very windy but I have a lovely view. Everything looks real different from here. No smoke, hardly any traffic, snow white clouds, and I kind of have my hair in control, this is refreshing.

Chennai Silks, a shop that sells suits among other things, is around the corner and I decide to go for it. I have landed and am completely surprised; it is bad enough that despite being such a big store, they do not have parking space, but they do not even have a broom closet. I try to convince the manager to allow me to keep my broom at a corner, he says No.

This is going to be embarrassing; I look like someone from Hogwarts, without the cloak, but decide to take the broom inside the shop. Huge place, and lovelyyyy dresses, cannot stop fancying me in just about everything. After loitering around for a couple of hours manage to settle on four suits to take home. I think people are looking at me, as if they have never seen a broom before. Shopping is done for the day, and I am on my way again. Don’t know where I am going, but flying on the broom is fun.

Next stop, I am at my college. Oh yes, it is examination time. It is English finals today. Wow, for a change, I am actually prepared. My classmates are standing nearby and I walk up to them. Strange but all are holding Chemistry books. And they are asking me if I am prepared for the Chemistry paper. I can feel my stomach getting knotted up, I must be hearing this wrong. How did this happen? This must be a dream, I do not know how but I have jumbled up the exam schedule and prepared for English on Chemistry day. Can’t hear anyone anymore, can hear only buzzing noises.

Trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggg, a screeching sound, the bell is ringing, all of us have to get to our examination halls, I think I am having a panic attack.
I open my eyes; I am covered in sweat, and completely shaken. What am I going to do now? I am totally blank, I can’t see anything, it s all dark around me.

It is midnight, and I am smiling.

I actually graduated from college eight years back, and didn’t even have Chemistry as a subject. It was afterall, just a dream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a case of thoughts about the past or memories being scanned/ reordered in a random manner.

But what I would say is to not only recollect those moments but also analyse them in the then context but use yardsticks of rationality, logic etc.

Radhakrishnan