June 26, 2007

a moment of clarity

Some days back I happened to read “The Namesake” by Jhumpa Lahiri. The novel follows a newlywed Bengali couple, Ashoke and Ashima Ganguly, through their journey, from India to America, through their struggle coping with the foreignness of their new home, and their half hearted assimilation into America. While Ashoke adapts to the new country with relative ease, Ashima finds it difficult to overcome the dichotomy of her life.

The turning point comes, when Ashima goes shopping for gifts before going on a trip to India, and forgets her shopping bags in a local train. To Ashima’s surprise, the bags are found and returned intact. She cannot help but acknowledge that had she lost something in her own country it was unlikely that she would have recovered it so much ease. Though she still continues to struggle with the cultural differences of her two worlds, but this incident makes her a little open to her new surroundings.

When I read it, I suddenly realized that many of us have had one of those light bulb moments, moments when you no longer have to squint to peek at something but can see everything with perfect clarity.

I could relate personally with the incident described in the novel. Like thousands of people from all over the world, I also moved to America leaving behind my own world, in India. Though I was excited and ready to explore my new surroundings, I was not ready to let go of the life I had left behind. Then one day, a tiny incident, a little act of courtesy changed me, without even me being aware of it.

I was calling my brother in India, and while dialing the international code for India and the code for the city my brother lives in, I ended up dialing the number 911. I did not realize that I had called emergency and continued with my call.

And then, within minutes there was a knock at the door, and I found a cop standing at my doorstep. I was perplexed as to what a cop was doing at my place. The officer at my door explained that they had received a call from my number, and wanted to check if I were alright. After getting over my initial surprise, I apologized telling him that I was on a call and that is how I must have ended calling up the emergency. It was a genuine mistake but since it was an unnecessary call, I expected him to be annoyed. But instead of being annoyed, the officer spoke to me with the utmost courtesy, and told me, that if I had any problem I should call the emergency. He didn’t even show the slightest impatience at being called unnecessarily. I never forgot the kindness and respect he had shown me.

I guess that was the moment for me, it triggered a new found appreciation for my surroundings and I saw everything in a new light.

No comments: