June 21, 2007

It happened one night...

Half past seven, I have already had my dinner, and finished reading filmfare, stardust and tinkle…a couple of magazines are still left, but I cannot read anymore. Everyone around me is chatting, munching on food, reading something or just looking out.

I look out the windows trying to catch something interesting, but its all darkness outside with a few flickering lights appearing occasionally. Sleeping is the best option, and I climb under my sheets.

A scream, muffled noises, a woman frantically crying…… I peep out from under my sheets trying to figure out what is going on. It’s ten in the night, and most of the people are sleeping. Suddenly a cop rushes through the corridor. I am in a train on my way to Mumbai, on my own and surrounded by strangers. A woman in my compartment has been mugged.

Within minutes the whole compartment is buzzing with activity, everyone is awake, everyone wants details and much like Chinese whisper details start pouring in everyone hears some version or the other of the incident.

“Someone snatched it right off her neck and jumped out”, says the lady next to me.

“Snatched what”? I ask her.

“The gold chain, she replies, it seems it was brand new, six pounds. I don’t understand why they should wear expensive things”.

Another passenger agrees, chipping in, that the thief was in the compartment for an hour or so and knew that the lady was traveling alone.

Some protest that even in a reserved compartment anyone can walk in and snatch anything and run off.

Some are talking to the lady in question, consoling her and trying to get a first hand account of the whole incident. Similar incidents are being recounted to anyone willing to listen.

An hour or so, things have cooled down, some have rechecked the locks, secured their bags, some are relaxing again, and many have gone back to sleep.

I have lost my sleep, and am staring at the blue lights on the ceiling.

Chaiii, chaiii ,,……achhaiii… achhaiii .. morning already…

No comments: