July 9, 2007

Curry Crisis

Yet another cooking disaster,…………… I am so over Gutti Vankaya. After the seventeenth attempt at trying to cook the miserable thing, I have decided, enough is enough, no more trying, I am never going to get it right. I mean every single time something or the other goes wrong. It’s like God is sending me a signal, “Thou shall not try the eggplant curry ever again”.

And this is not the first time, there have been many more before and not just Gutti Venkaya. In fact today was a decent disaster compared to what the dear old kitchen has witnessed before. There was that time when I found this can of Sarson Ka Saag in the Indian store. I was thrilled and got it right away. I even got the corn flour, determined to whip up a scrumptious meal of sarson ka saag and makki ki roti.

The roti turned up like ….I don’t know …there is no single word to describe what it turned up like. It was like an absolutely horrendous, and tasteless giant cookie made with corn flour, that was just crumbling into powder when you tried to eat it. And the saag, despite following all the instructions to the “T” (which was basically heating it up in a bowl in microwave-you can’t go wrong on that one, meaning I did it right) it was simply disgusting to eat, to smell and even to look at. I don’t like throwing food away, but that was a no brainer, hands down.

Its like some colours never work for you, they never look good on you. So you just have to get rid of them and try those that bring out the best in you.

I kind of feel it’s the same way with me and the eggplant curry. Time to cut my losses (the innumerous hours wasted in trying to get it right, the stomach upsets after eating what I made and so much more) and just walk away.

1 comment:

A said...

laughing uncontrollably!