June 25, 2007

Reasons why America still amazes me

I was born and brought up in India. My father had a transferable job and we moved every couple of years to a new place. That way I got to see almost the whole of India, and loved every bit of it. So four years back when I had to move to the U.S of A, it was a hard decision to leave everything I loved, behind and to move to a completely strange, unknown country.

However, within months, I discovered that I had come to a very unique country with its own nuances and a tremendous exploration potential. Initially I expected, I would get over the amazement with time, but it is four years now and this country continues to surprise me.

Over the past couple of years I have noticed certain unique, different and sometimes strange things in America, that amuse me. Perhaps some are not even worth mentioning but nevertheless they still amaze me and amuse me….

  • When you are in a restaurant and want to get a box for the food you ordered, you don’t get it packed, but you get it “to go”.
  • There are actually more varieties of butter substitutes than butter itself.
  • People rarely honk when they are driving.
  • A paddle (group) of ducks can stop the traffic; people actually stop their cars and let the ducks cross the road.
  • You can actually sue your dry cleaners for 54 million dollars for a pair of pants and still see your case make it to court.
  • Wearing trousers at hips rather than at waist is actually in fashion.
  • You can begin with a paper clip and barter you way to a house.
  • And finally people always try to pronounce “A’s” fourteen lettered last name and actually get it right.

No comments: